This site of a mediaeval fortified house and hamlet is near the Horticultural College in Northop. There were earlier buildings there, probably dating from Saxon times, timber built, and superseded by a stone castle or palace in the 13th century. The last building on the site was erected in the early 14th century but no masonry can now be seen, although traces of moats and mounds can still be discerned.
Edwin of Tegeingl was a chieftain to whom many famous Flintshire families attributed their origin. He was killed about 1073. Llys Edwin remained in the same family until the time of Owain Glyndwr in the early 15th century. The site was excavated in the 1930s but over the years it has gradually degraded with scrub and trees growing on it.CADW has now been persuaded to take an interest in the site and it is planning an event to raise awareness, an open evening with talks and walks and the start of an action plan. This is likely to be some time in June. Please watch the website for further information.